Major hair care from a major brand.
One of the biggest selling brands in India, Clinic Plus takes a major chunk of market share in the shampoo market. This brand was launched in India in 1971 and has become a trusted favorite of consumers across the sub continent in the decades that it’s been marketed.
This brand has held its own against tough competition in the hair care market, but its continued dominance has everything to do with quality and competitive prices.
Shampoo and More
Clinic Plus doesn’t just offer one kind of shampoo, but a whole line of hair care products that cater to all kinds of textures and needs.
- Clinic Plus Strong and Long Naturals Shampoo. This shampoo promises to prevent hair from falling out and to strengthen the length of the hair as well.
- Clinic Plus Strong and Long Anti-dandruff Shampoo. This product uses milk protein and medicinal chemicals to treat dandruff and to keep hair from falling out.
- Clinic Plus Strong and Long Health Shampoo. Another product that uses milk protein to help keep hair healthy.
- Clinic Plus Shampoo Ayurveda Care Triphala. Using ayurvedic ingredients, this shampoo is meant to keep hair in place and to make it stronger.
- Clinic Plus Cream Conditioner. Used in conjunction with Clinic Plus shampoos, this product helps improve hair texture.
- Clinic Plus Daily Care Hair Oil. To nourish and strengthen hair, this product is used in with other Clinic Plus hair care products.
- Clinic Plus Almond Gold Hair Oil. Promises to make hair more beautiful and even when used with other Clinic Plus products.
Clinic Plus products are marketed all over India and are widely available in retail stores from small shops to large supermarkets.
The parent company for Clinic Plus is Hindustan Unilever Limited. This division of the Dutch/British mega conglomerate Unilever is headquartered out of Mumbai. It’s operated since the 1930s as a wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever.
Hindustan Unilever has an annual revenue of five billion dollars and employs nearly twenty thousand people across India, including those who manufacture Clinic Plus. The company has a portfolio of thirty-five companies, again including Clinic Plus.
The company runs the Hindustan Unilever Research Centre in Bangalore, which has been innovating in manufacturing processes and in products since 1966.
Clinic Plus was put into a difficult position when it went to war with rival shampoo Head and Shoulders, which is produced by Hindustan Unilever’s nemesis Procter and Gamble.
It all started with an ad that Clinic Plus aired that targeted Procter and Gamble’s shampoo, criticizing the brand and its effectiveness. Proctor and Gamble went so far as to take Clinic Plus to court in India claiming defamation, however the case was thrown out.
The Big Guy
The wars don’t stop with advertising. Hindustan Unilever is the largest consumer goods producer in India, and it’s not willing to sit back and let rivals challenge its dominance. To that end, the company launched several ayurvedic shampoos under the Clinic Plus brand to compete with the growing market for these products. The ayurvedic brand has grown almost ten percent per year in recent years and is expected to keep growing at an even faster rate in the coming decade.
In recent years, Clinic Plus has struggled a bit with market prices as compared to its competitors such as L’Oreal’s Garnier. While it’s still one of the most popular brands in India, it’s nonetheless found a great deal of competition not just with other major brands, but with rising independent brands.
The company is continuing to roll out new products and use high level advertising to attract new consumers.